Do you have an interest in greeting people, maintaining and organising workplaces, providing service and information and answering inquiries? If so, a job as a receptionist could be a good fit for you.
Here’s how you can get a job as a receptionist.
What is a receptionist?
First of all, what is a receptionist? Well when someone first contacts a company, the receptionist is usually the first person they talk to. Receptionists are often known as the face of the company. They greet customers and respond to enquiries, in person or over the phone.
- arrange and record details of appointments
- revive and resolve complaints from clients and customers
- take phone calls and responding to email messages
- handle communication between staff and clients
- they can also perform other office type jobs such as word processing, data entry, filing, mail dispatch and photocopying
What kind of qualifications and skills do you need?
For a job as a receptionist you won’t require formal qualifications and you will most likely get training on the job. However, to start up in this occupation it might be worthwhile to consider a qualification in business, administration or a related field.
It is very important for receptionists to be friendly and have great communication skills. This is because they represent the company and need to maintain a positive impression for clients.
Some of the most common skills and qualities for a receptionist are:
It is also important that you have the right personal skills to become a receptionist:
- ability to multitask
- enjoy working with people
- have a neat personal appearance
- consistently polite manner
- able to work independently
If you would like to see some of the skills you have you can check out Skills Match. Just put the jobs or careers you have previously had (this can include unpaid work). Then you can see the skills that you may have from your jobs.
Then, just compare your skills with those of a receptionist!
Got an interview for a receptionist job?
Before you go in for a job interview it is important that you already have an idea of some common interview questions which you might be asked.
Because we are here for you, here is a quick video. It takes you through some questions you might be asked in an interview for a retail assistant job.
What will you get paid?
In Australia the average receptionist gets paid $982 weekly.
How competitive is the market?
The receptionist market is quite competitive. Although, it is a very large occupational grouping with many opportunities in different sectors.
However, to make sure that you stand out to employers during the application process you can:
- remember to talk about soft skills on your resume
- use your resume to outline any previous jobs or work experience you have had
- make sure to explain on your resume that you enjoy working with people and have experience communicating over the phone
Quick facts about receptionist work:
- receptionists are often the client’s first point of contact with a company
- most positions require computer and keyboard skills
- receptionists can work in a variety of organisations such as factories, law and account firms, medical centres, hotels, travel agencies and offices to name a few
- the main industry is Health Care and Social Assistance
- the future growth of receptionists is moderate
- some specialisations can include Medical Receptionist, Admin Assistant and a Word Processing Operator
Now you know just about everything there is to know about how to become a receptionist. Good luck with your job search.