Will you graduate uni this year? Maybe you graduated a few years ago and haven’t landed the career you hoped for? An Australian grad job can get you on the right track.
Who is eligible for a grad job?
Let’s start by dispelling a myth: you don’t have to be a young person to get a grad job. We profiled Heather on our Instragram. She joined the Suncorp grad program as a software engineer in her 50s.
While age doesn’t matter, these 3 things do:
- Type of qualification. Most programs accept an undergraduate or postgraduate degree. You might need a specific degree for specialised jobs like engineering. Some will take graduate certificates, but this is not as common. Diploma and certificate level qualifications typically don’t meet eligibility requirements.
- Date of graduation. You can apply for a graduate job in your final year of study. But did you know you can usually apply up to 3 and in some cases 4 years after you graduate?
- Academic performance. A credit average is the typical minimum requirement. But don’t assume just because you have a GPA of 7 that you’ll automatically get in. Your resume, cover letter, personal statement or pitch is really important as well.
Don’t freak out if you don’t meet these criteria. Other pathways to a great career include:
- Cadetships and work experience in government departments.
- The Australia Post tech academy and Digital Transformation Agency apprenticeships. Set yourself up in a tech career. NO DEGREE REQUIRED!
- The Australian Defence Force or agencies like the Australian Signals Directorate.
- Trades and apprenticeships.
What’s the process to get a grad job?
Getting a grad job is not as simple as sending off your resume. It’s a multi-step process that usually requires you to:
- Apply online. Submit your resume, cover letter, transcripts and a personal statement. You might also need to give proof of Australian citizenship.
- Do an online assessment. Test your numeracy, literacy and problem solving skills.
- Have a video or phone interview.
- Go to an assessment centre. Come face to face with your competition and do a range of tasks. You could have to do a panel interview, group activities, work-like tasks and a presentation.
The final step before an offer of employment is a reference check. You will probably have to do a drug test too.
Resources to help you find a graduate job
Australian grad jobs are competitive. Research and preparation will set you apart. Get started with these links:
Images: iStock, giphy