Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to get the job you want in 2018? It can feel like a big task, but there are ways to make it more achievable.
Treat the act of getting a job as a job. Think about what that would look like.
You start at the same time every day.
You have set tasks you have to complete.
You have deadlines.
You have different levels of motivation to get your job done every day.
You sometimes get side tracked and have competing priorities.
Your life, your partner, your kids, your pets, your parents and more demand your attention.
When you have a job you have to find a way to balance all these things. It is no different when you are looking for a job.
Set goals, find a routine that works
Setting goals and sticking to a routine is essential to achieving many things in life, including finding a job.
When Breanna and Emma shared their stories about finding a job, they both talked about the importance of getting out of bed at a reasonable time!
But don’t just take their word for it. Heaps of successful people swear by it.
- Billionaire Richard Branson wakes up at 5am every morning.
- Oprah Winfrey doesn’t set an alarm clock, but she still wakes up between 6 to 6.30am every day.
- Apple co-founder Steve Jobs asked himself the same question in the mirror every morning.
Aside from waking up early, some kind of exercise, healthy eating and meditation or mindfulness usually make an appearance in the daily routines of successful people.
But, we all know setting goals is easy. Sticking to them is hard. Turning a one-off good deed into a habit is hard, too.
A helping hand to get the job you want in 2018
As the song says, “I get by with a little help from my friends.” And, it’s true, getting your friends on board can help you set and stick to your goals.
So can your phone!
There is literally an app for everything, and these ones are free and great at helping you set goals, make routines and keep yourself accountable.
- Habitica turns tasks into a game. You keep your digital self alive by keeping track of the tasks you said you were going to do. Kind of like a Tamagotchi, but better.
- Stickk was developed by a bunch of smart guys at Yale University. It lets you set a specific goal and invite a friend or someone you trust to support you and help you stick to it.
- Jobfit is specifically designed to keep your job search on track. You can set goals, keep track of your progress and do quizzes to help you prepare for your job search.
You can also just use your phone calendar and alarm clock, or go totally offline and use a diary or notepad. Just find something that works for you and stick to it.
Now go out and get the job you want in 2018!